Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My New Little Sister

India is a fascinating place in every aspect of the word! We have now spent four days on the ground and are already overwhelmed by what we have seen and experienced. Blending the Orient with the Western world is becoming increasingly challenging. Things that formerly seemed so important are suddenly not on the horizon anymore. We are changing.

Today has been an emotionally tough yet encouraging day. We drove 90 minutes outside the city to our halfway home where child sex trafficking survivors slowly are preparing for a new life. Trudy, Jennifer, and Naomi spent a lot of time with several of the girls making colorful and beautiful bracelets with beads. All initial anxieties and worries were soon gone in  a whirlwind of laughter, language misunderstandings, and intense moments. Cross-cultural bridges were built, new friendships were formed, and a new sisterhood established. In another part of the building Slav and Charlotte were busy interviewing the director of the halfway home and three sex trafficking survivors.

I cannot count the moments that my eyes were filled with tears today. I sat on the floor listening to 19-year-old Chandrakala’s* story. She was beautiful and dressed in a traditional yellow outfit with lots of pretty flowers. Her voice was very soft and she was touching her hands as she related a – in the beginning – terrible life. It was difficult for me to grasp the gravity of the situation. I did not know how to connect with her. So I started looking at her as she was my own little sister. I was taking her all in. It was impossible to hold the tears back. But then it became apparent that God was continuing to write her story. Chandrakala ended the interview by sharing how God’s love totally had changed her life. I have never seen a bigger smile on someone’s face. She commanded our team to tell her story all over the world. She made it clear that no one should have to experience what she had to. Chandrakala said that everyone has the right to life and happiness. After the interview was finished I talked to Chandrakala through an interpreter. I told her that I wish she had been my little sister. I also shared with her that our team came to India to see just her because God loves her so much and so deeply.

Tomorrow we are going to enjoy an off day doing sightseeing as a team. It will be an important day to get refreshed for the days ahead. However, there are so many things to process before that. Finally, we are grateful for prayers from all around the world.

Good night from a moonlit India,

Vijay


*Name has been altered to protect the identity of the individual

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that all is well. India goes strait to your heart. Can't wait to hear more stories. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete